Therapy Dogs United Programs
In times when comfort and hope is needed, a therapy dog provides a gentle paw to remind us that “you are not alone.”
At Therapy Dogs United, our therapy dog teams are personally committed to bring joy and inspiration to every human life we touch. We truly believe in the power of the paw! A session with a certified therapy dog is the catalyst for positive change. We work hand-in-paw to motivate emotionally and physically challenged individuals by opening dialogue with the abused, disabled, sick, lonely, injured, or depressed.
A natural motivator, a therapy dog can help improve a client’s mobility or physical healing. In a clinical setting, a visit with a therapy dog can act as a distraction from a daily or planned medical procedure. When a therapy dog is in the room anxiety levels drop, blood pressure levels are reduced and a client’s mood improves. Clients have been known to be more alert and responsive for up to 45 minutes after the therapy dog leaves. Our programs inspire learning and change – and include everyone! It's easy to see why our mantra is "Dogs Supporting People."
We offer a wide range of programs to benefit our clientele. Here are our most popular programs:
- Skilled Support Dogs: therapy dog teams used to encourage physical movement, verbal and non-verbal communication and improved social behavior
- AAT Dogs: the use of animal-assisted therapy to help physically rehabilitate individuals, or anyone with behavioral, emotional or cognitive challenges
- Companion Dogs: therapy dog teams used to support individuals with depression, anxiety, or loneliness
- Dog Bite Prevention & At Risk Kids: dog bite prevention and animal humane program designed for abused children or at-risk kids
- M.D. Program (Medical Dogs): visitation program to benefit an oncology patient or individual recuperating during a hospital stay
- Tutors with a Tail: literacy and in-school reading program for the Erie City, Erie County and Regional Charter school districts. Includes visits throughout the Erie County Library system, regional book stores and beyond
- Courthouse Comfort Dogs: certified therapy dog teams visit children facing a dependency hearing in Erie County Family Court; Veterans facing a hearing in Erie County's Veteran's Treatment Court; or individual attending a hearing at The Erie County Court of Common Pleas
- Animal-Assisted Activities: general visits to benefit the public, large group facilities or a workplace of any size. Email Pat@therapydogsunited.org to request an Entry Agreement.
Does your dog have what it takes to be certified as a Therapy Dogs United volunteer? Find out now.
Testing and Evaluation